Is Flowers of Evil worth reading if you have watched the anime?
Absolutely. The anime’s only about a third of the story and that story goes a lot of many places far beyond what you’ve seen. You could skip the first three (or four?) volumes if you felt like it, there’s not too-too much of a difference between them.I wrote a lot about the anime before I’d read the manga. I held off for a long time because I thought there was no way the manga would match the tone of the show. I’m here to happily inform you that I was super duper off about that. The look is different, obviously–and that hurts because I was way into the rotoscoping–but the dire, ominous, eternal slowness of it is still there in full effect. The anime’s limited use of sound and score really dug its hooks into me in a painful way. Comic book can’t do that, of course, but the dialogue is still painful and brief. Whole pages where you just gotta sit there and absorb it with few words to guide you. Pretty rad! Even primed by the anime, this ish’s a super-tough read. Especially as it moves into the second arc things get real dark. Irredeemable, even. It’s worth seeing just how foul the story gets and then it’s worth seeing if there’s ever anything after that. I don’t think that anime’s ever gettin’ finished, much as I might want it to be. If you need closure, the manga’s the only option, and I really regret how long I wanted to get it. Closing the final volume, I was almost overwhelmed by dedication on the back cover:Flowers of Evil is trenchant melodrama, as many of our adolescences were. They were hard, and It was stupid to think they were hard, but nevertheless they were. And I wondered, while reading this, how different from these people I was when I was 14–and I often came back with the answer “not very much.” And so, I think it’s worth reading for just about anybody interested, to see how these characters grow and change (or don’t) and reconcile what they are with what the world is (or don’t). Don’t call closed on the story after just the prelude.Also, some real good cuss words. You owe it to yourself to see how many times & in how many ways “scrap metal” is used.
Ad blocker detected: Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.
Is Flowers of Evil worth reading if you have watched the ani
Here you will find a collection of some of the latest news on all of your favorite manga collections!
- Vertical Inc
- Senior Member

- Posts: 1696
- Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:48 am
Is Flowers of Evil worth reading if you have watched the ani
Post by Vertical Inc » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:03 pm
Jump to
- General
- ↳ Forum News
- ↳ General Discussion
- ↳ Latest User Blog Posts
- ↳ Latest Anime News
- ↳ Quotes & Moments
- ↳ Humor
- ↳ Photoshop Wars
- ↳ Anime OST and Jpop
- ↳ Manga
- ↳ Latest Manga News
- Series Specific Discussion
- ↳ Series: # - M
- ↳ Ah! My Goddess
- ↳ Bleach
- ↳ Card Captor Sakura
- ↳ Code Geass
- ↳ Cowboy Bebop
- ↳ Death Note
- ↳ DragonBall
- ↳ Fruits Basket
- ↳ Full Metal Alchemist
- ↳ Gundam Seed
- ↳ Series: N - Z
- ↳ Naruto
- ↳ Neon Genesis Evangelion
- ↳ One Piece
- ↳ Movies: # - Z
- ↳ Movies: Non-Anime
- Editorials
- ↳ Anime Reviews
- Art & Media
- ↳ Fanart
- ↳ Graphics
- ↳ Anime Music Videos
- Events
- ↳ Conventions - General Discussion
- ↳ Conventions - Images & Cosplay
- Video Games
- ↳ Universal Video Game Discussion
- ↳ General Game News and Blog Updates
- ↳ Xbox General Discussion
- ↳ Xbox News and Blog Updates
- ↳ Xbox Clan Chat
- ↳ Team Ripclaw
- ↳ MZFT
- ↳ Playstation General Discussion
- ↳ Playstation News and Blog Updates
- ↳ Playstation News Updates (Japanese)
- Las Vegas Mobsquad
- ↳ Ringtone & Voicemail Requests
- ↳ Mobsquad Discussion
- Omega Script
- ↳ Omega Script Forum/Section
- ↳ Omega Script News
- ↳ Comments/Suggestions
- ↳ Support & Bug Discovery
- Support
- ↳ Support/Questions/Requests