Thanks for answering all these questions! There's something

Here you will find a collection of some of the latest news on all of your favorite manga collections!
Post Reply
User avatar
Vertical Inc
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks for answering all these questions! There's something

Post by Vertical Inc » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:29 am

Thanks for answering all these questions! There's something I've been wondering. Tokyopop lost all of their licenses upon closure, but some top-750-Bookscan-comics manga were never picked up again. Are NA companies still bidding for these or have they practically given up? Are Japanese companies more likely to get cold feet with certain series after a closure? Is it simply not worth it to license a long-running series even if recent volume sales were okay (ie; Saiyuki)? Thank you!

Interesting question, but honestly I cannot give you an answer. I really do not know. But let me say…I question the validity on the BookScan top 750 for comics. It is a good start, but for most comics, and many manga, BookScan does not cover even 50% of units sold. For titles like Flowers of Evil or even Chi’s Sweet Home BookScan is way less 50% of those titles overall sales. So those numbers are misleading. BookScan is great for prose books as their totals are closer to their actual retail numbers (mainly because comics are still so heavily dependent on Diamond and specialty retailers that are not in the BookScan system.) Also, Tokyopop still has some licenses. Gentosha licenses are still being managed by Tokyopop, as the two companies signed a revenue share agreement in the 00’s, so that is something to keep in mind.
Obviously, I work for Vertical, so, all I do know is what we have been bid on. And we stopped pursuing Tokyopop licenses almost two years ago (we acquired Paradise Kiss and due to our contract for GTO 14 Days, we had to pick up the remaining volumes of GTO The Early Years that TP never released. when TP was technically in business in the US.)  We looked into Battle Royale. We looked at Future Diary. We asked about Fate/.
Generally bids are blind, so you don’t know who else is bidding and you don’t know what the other offers are. Basically we have no real clue who else is looking at these things.
Are US companies still going after these titles… I have no clue. I would assume that by now most of those titles have been bid on. That said, who knows maybe down the line someone would want to do a re-release of JING: King of Bandits they possibly could get that license. But given the experience I have had, picking up some older titles might not be worth it since their popularity is fading, current publishers would have to make new files and possibly new translations, and there is no guarantee rescues would even sell. 
In general, most Japanese publishers will look at these things on a case by case basis. If it is a major property, sure they would want to re-sell the license. We were approached to do 07-Ghost when GoComi! shut down. But when we went after Gundam the ORIGIN, Kadokawa was resistant at first due to the situation in the States with Bandai Manga and ORIGIN being a flop in the US and EU. We were able to convince them to work with us after essentially promising we would release the entire series at our own risk.
Your last question is weird to me… I mean Tokyopop has not been around, as they once were, for a few years now. In publishing that is not recent. Heck, most media has a short attention span, and three years is almost a lifetime to distributors and vendors. That said, I would say that in general no it is not worth it. For top 25-50 BookScan series I could see that (and in those cases those series are selling enough through BookScan channels to make money even without the Diamond, library or international markets). I am certain someone is possibly still considering a way to re-release Fruits Basket (if it even is available). The costs could be very crazy, but I could imagine a Viz Big re-release of that. I would have a hard time re-launching Saiyuki. Still, weirder things have happened.
Once again this is where JManga or CR could really do some damage. If Japanese pubs had the translations and materials from their existing back-catalog that is now OOP, they could have the stuff hosted on a service like CR. The titles would at least be around, and the JP pubs could get some google-ads revenue (while not a gold mine) for titles that are essentially asleep. That’d also give CR a deep catalog, while allowing existing publishers to focus on previously non-licensed titles.




Post Reply